2022 – Building for the Future
President’s Message: Diversifying market capabilities to build a company that lasts
Our goal at Evans is to create a company that allows people to excel and grow in their career. To do that, we must have a stable company that is agile enough to pivot as the economy changes. Over the last couple of years Evans found opportunity within a rapidly growing light industrial market. But now the economy is shifting, and the light industrial market is pulling back. Fortunately, over the last two years, we have been heavily focused on preparing for this change by further investing in advanced technology, life sciences, food and beverage, and manufacturing.
I am happy to say that our proactive approach, transparency, and open communications throughout the year with clients, design partners, subcontractors, and staff has allowed Evans to enter 2023 financially stable and with a strong backlog of contracted work.
It’s been a big year for Evans. One filled with several firsts and moments to be proud of, including:
- We are closing the year with over $1.7 Billion in revenue despite just having a record year prior.
- We have shifted resources to allow for significant growth in Advanced Technology, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, and Food & Beverage markets which will represent 35% of our volume in 2023.
- We exceeded market sales goals in Life Sciences, Advanced Technology, and Food & Beverage by forging inroads with new clients.
- We ranked #81 among ENR Top 400 Contractors on our first time applying. A rank we are both humbled by and driven to improve.
- We achieved Excellence in Construction for projects within the ABC Georgia, Florida First Coast, and Carolinas chapters.
- We refocused our safety program around three principles; prepare, perform, and innovate to ensure that everyone gets home safe.
- Our Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) of 0.281 is well below the current national average for the construction industry.
- We continue to increase market awareness through industry conferences and speaking engagements, some of which include SC Manufacturing Conference, TAG Infrastructure Data Center Summit, 7×24 Exchange, Global Cold Chain Alliance (CEBA and IARW-WRLO), and SkillsUSA.
- We taught and mentored those just beginning in the industry through our internship program which continues to have a high rate of success. Eight interns from our 2021 program became part of the Evans team as full-time employees this year.
While we may not capitalize on every opportunity, a lot has been accomplished these last twelve months and a strong path forward has been laid for 2023. All of this is due to the execution of last year’s goals by our field, preconstruction, operations, and corporate teams.
My hope for Evans and for all of you going into 2023, is to not lose sight of the culture that makes us great, to maintain course even if it seems tough, and to seek excellence in everyday opportunities. This mentality is what builds a company that lasts, and WE are collectively building for the future…Together.
RT Evans, President & CEO